Winter. Remember how fun it used to be?
Of course you don’t.
For many of us it’s been too many years of shoveling, salt stains on your nice shoes, white-knuckle driving and frozen-handed car brushing. It’s enough to make you bitter about the cold.
With much of the northern half of the country (and even some of the South) digging out from massive storms, children are just digging in.
Many kids love winter and it’s nice to have a reminder of what makes it great when slushy streets and chilly chores get us down.
Here are a few fond memories you might have of the deep freeze from back in the day:
1) Snow days – Before they forced you to find someone to watch the kids so you can go to work, these were glorious holidays. Not only did you get to scrap school for a day, you also got an open invitation to take advantage of a decent dumping of the white stuff.
2) Snowballs – Just one of many great winter pastimes, these projectiles inevitably lead to fort construction, sneak attacks and lots of laughs. You know you miss this.
3) Sledding – A cold-weather classic that never gets old.
4) Hot chocolate – What better way to cap off an afternoon of frosty fun than with a nice hot mug of winter’s signature sipper? Pass the marshmallows, please.
5) Cozy confines – When the weather turns truly frightful, a day of doing nothing in the pajama-appropriate comfort of your own home can really hit the spot. You can even camp out!
6) All the other snow stuff – Angels, men and mountains, kids love them all!
Though it’s sometimes hard to remember, your little ones will have those special winter feelings flowing right back if you give them the chance. When you Take Time to Play this winter, you just might catch yourself captivated by the cold once again.
What do you and your kids love about winter? Tell us on Facebook or Twitter using #TakeTimeToPlay!
Leave a comment