Usually, before the birth of a child, parents start getting things in place and making proper provisions for the basic needs of their new baby, such as the nursery, the crib, and the baby lights. The right lighting is essential for the proper growth and development of the child. Some parents wonder, are bright lights bad for babies? Bright lights can be too much. Installing the ideal type of nursery lighting to suit the developing cells of the newborn baby’s eyes is of paramount importance. However, older adults in the house are not left out, as they will still find the light very useful in carrying out their daily activities. The type of lighting in the room goes a long way to determine how beautiful and welcoming the space is.
Baby Light Control and Its Value
The eye is a doorway to the baby’s mind. The baby’s vision is one of the least developed senses at birth. However, visual inputs during the child’s early days might have some effects on his or her developing central nervous system. However, one might ask, “what is the importance of visual stimulation to a child?” At birth, the retina, which is the black layer of the eye, cannot distinguish many different colors of shade and light. Furthermore, the nerve cells are not well connected and are highly disorganized at birth. The provision of continuous visual input into the baby’s eyes will allow the retina to develop and the optic nerves to grow. The proper baby light and light control in the newborn’s room will certainly go a long way in enhancing the quick and proper development of these nerve cells and, as such, enhancing proper visual stimulation.
Below are some simple ways to stimulate your newborn’s vision:
- Use dark and light blankets, bedspread, pillowcases, etc. to surround your baby’s bed.
- Buy your baby toys with high contrast, primary colors.
- When your baby is awake with eyes open, place books or toys with visually stimulating colors, shapes, and patterns about eight to 12 inches away from his or her face.
On the other hand, because bright lights are bad for babies, you should not expose newborn babies to too many light rays, especially those coming from the hot sun and incandescent lights. Also, remember to never fire the flash unit of a camera closer than one meter in front of an infant’s delicate face. Furthermore, lasers and very bright industrial lights can also damage the retina. Excess light rays going into the baby’s eyes can damage the retina. As you choose your baby-safe lights, keep the wattage in mind and opt for bulbs that will produce softer, cooler lighting.
Choosing the Best Night Light for Your Baby
Night lights are usually designed to illuminate the room with a soft glow that is not too bright to prevent sleep. However, there are so many styles of night lights available on the market today. It is, therefore, vital that you’re careful when choosing and buying any nursery lights for your baby.
Below are some of the factors to consider before buying a night light:
- The color of the night light.
- The type of bulb that the night light is made of.
- If the night light has a timer.
Light Control Strategies
Controlling the number of light rays that enter your newborn’s room is a joint effort of both parents as they are the ones who will determine how to control the baby’s light and what method to use. Irrespective of the method, however, aesthetics is very important to the overall look and feel of the space. Furthermore, light control is about more than just design and aesthetics. It entails finding the right creative design that best suits your home that supports the safety, general wellbeing, and health of your family. In addition, the room should be designed in such a way that it reflects personality. Below are some of the strategies you can use to control the lighting in your baby’s room.
- Curtains: Curtains are usually hung in a doorway or window. They are used to keep natural light out of the room during bed and nap times, as well as for privacy reasons. When open, they provide light, which warms the room and makes it feel more alive and bright. Of course, your choice of curtains should be dependent on the theme of the room. This will go a long way to complement the background design of the room. Sheer drapes should be used in the windows of the newborn because of their light and transparent nature. The color of the curtain is of paramount importance because colors go a long way to show off some personality. This will also make the newborn’s room grand.
- Light bulbs: The choice of light bulbs used in the room is also one of the basic factors that determine the amount of light in the newborn’s room. To avoid damaging the developing cells in the eyes of the newborn, choose fluorescent light bulbs. Incandescent bulbs always create excess heat and burn off more energy. Plus, these types of bright lights are bad for babies.
- Landscaping: There are several ways to control the nursery lighting. Apart from aesthetics, landscaping helps to control the number of light rays that come into a baby’s room. However, the use of ornamental features, such as trees, herbs, and shrubs, in gardens close to the newborn’s bedroom windows helps to prevent and control direct light rays.
Make a difference in your child’s development by using the best baby lights in his or her room as they grow. Contact us at HABA USA for more ideas on how to enrich your child’s life with developmental toys that nurture their growth. Our experts are here to help you every step of the way!
By John Smith and VanessaArbuthnott.co.uk!